Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Year Later


A year ago, is where it all started.

It started with joining World Help to go to Guatemala. God was already preparing something big, not knowing exactly a year ago what that would be. But returning from my trip, I somewhat knew what God was preparing for me. Fast forward to August, exactly five months later, I found myself at Hope of Life again. Fast forward once again and almost exactly five months later, I’m back at Hope of Life for long term volunteering. 
When I was here for my first time in March, on the first day we went into a village called Pueblo Modelo. That day was the day reality hit. The reality of seeing how people live in third world countries. Tarps as homes, or tin as walls and/or ceiling. Not having enough food for every day. Just surviving the best they know how to with the resources they have. It was a reality that was hard to comprehend.

A year passed and I found myself this village again.


Walking around this village with the team leader, you learn all the things that have been happening in the past year. That day was the most emotional day, but the best day anyone can ask for. Let give you a little update. From what the original amount of people that lived there, there is almost double the amount now. And every day, there are new people that come to try to make a living there. Most are people from the mountains. The government controlled village is hard to change when all they think about is making money and not for the well-being of the people. The promises that were made were all broken and people don’t know what to believe anymore.



One family’s living condition was harder to comprehend.

Walking to a house with a mother and her child, it is hard to know what to expect. The only thing we knew was that she has five children and a husband who is incapable to work because of an accident that has happened. She is the only one working trying to provide for a family of seven total.

Walking up to their home, it was just a small dirt lot. Then you see a deep ditch dug and four wood sticks to cover it that was right beside the entrance to their home. That ditch, is their restroom that is right beside the entrance. Also, you see four sides of tarp hanging that creates a shelter to the family of seven. Inside, is an old bed, a small hammock where a child is sleeping, some handmade piƱatas (to try to sell), some other belongings, and a rocky, dirt floor.

As holding one of the children in my arms, it was hard to ask the questions, but I would only know if she would tell me. In the meantime, the team leader talks to the parents about this lot and learns a little more about their family. The little girl, being shy, still gave me a hug and climbed into my arms. The question I wasn't sure I wanted to hear the answer to was hard in itself. The question remained, it was where she and her other siblings slept. She informs, that she, along with her three siblings sleep on the ground. The rocky, dirty floor. The little one sleeps in the hammock.




As hard as it was that day to accept the reality once again, the one thing that needs to be reminded is that, we as people are here to help them. Jesus tells us to take care of the poor.  'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:40







Now the question stands, are you willing to take care the least of these? 











Please feel free to message me or ask questions. I'd love to hear from you! God's blessings to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment